Gordon & Barbara in Paris

Gordon & Barbara in Paris
Here's Looking at YOU

Monday, December 17, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook


Silver Linings Playbook—Directed and Written by David O. Russell from a novel by Matthew Quick/starring Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver, Chris Tucker, Anupam Kher, John Ortiz/ 122 min/rated R

Bifocal Review by Ageless1der, Barbara Rich & The Other Guy


(B) This film was definitely a more modern kind of romantic comedy and I liked that. In fact, it was a little out there at times, in that I wasn’t really sure that it was a romantic comedy at all, but I appreciated the honesty of this film when it came to dealing with people who are perfect for each other, because they are far from perfect, like most of us. Jennifer Lawrence is headed for even greater roles as she has proven what a great and diverse actress she is. Bradley Cooper proved he could be less of a pretty boy, which had its attraction, but I found myself drawn more to Jennifer’s character. The other extended family interactions were entertaining with De Niro playing the role of Bradley’s father, a man obsessed with his home football team, Philadelphia Eagles. This movie unfolded somewhat predictably, but who doesn’t like a “feel good” ending? My review may have suffered because the film I saw just before this one was Flight, which was amazing, and a tough act to follow. I give this film 2 and half binoculars.

(OG) As this movie was presented to me as “a romantic comedy” I was on automatic prejudice against the film before entering the theater. When the movie was over however, I was so positively impressed that I had just seen something unique, a film that took risks but ended up fulfilling expectations too. The reasons for my appreciation also likely contributed to my liking the film more than Barbara in the end. Here’s why I thought this was one of the BEST romantic comedies I have ever seen: 1) Both the male and female leads were believable and most people could relate to them. 2) The dialogue was fresh. There was one scene where Cooper and Lawrence just meet and they bond over the kind of anxiety medications they’ve taken in the past. 3) Robert De Niro. I give this one three and a half binoculars because I wasn’t comparing it to any other films I’ve seen this year. That boosts the average to three, on its own merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment