Gordon & Barbara in Paris

Gordon & Barbara in Paris
Here's Looking at YOU

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Frankie and Alice

FRANKIE AND ALICE--Directed by Geoffrey Sax/ Starring Stellan Skarsgård, Halle Berry, Matt Frewer/Screenplay Written by Cheryl Edwards, Marko King, Mary King, Jonathan Watters, Joe Shrapnel, Anna Waterhouse/Story by Oscar Janiger, Philip Goldberg, Cheryl Edwards/101 mins/R


(B)It seemed such a waste of a compelling performance by Halle Berry to be in a film with such a weak story. Certain scenes in this film should have been elaborated on and others scenes could have easily been omitted. I don’t make movies, so I don’t know how a story is actually made into a movie, but somehow the spark of this film was buried and buried deep. However, I view movies and I know what I like. The balance in this movie was off, therefore, I can only give two and a half binoculars. Two for Halle and a half for
the unfulfilled potential of this movie.

(G) Halle Berry is a superb actress and her performance in this film does not belie that statement. However, I came away from viewing Frankie and Alice wishing that there were three or four FEWER writers and that someone had taken the reins and guided this film toward a more compelling story. This is often the case with a film that is based on truth. Yes, there actually is a person who (apparently) is like the schizophrenic, multiple personality wielding character that Berry plays. I have not done much homework, but really, as a MOVIE GOER I shouldn’t have to. Whenever someone tries to “stay true to the actual life” of a character, then problems are inevitable. It really seems like there was no real agreement on which personality or which theme should be showcased here, and then there was that nagging “truth” that continually got in the way. In the end, the story is just not that interesting. At least, it is not interesting enough to make a feature length film about. I give this one two binoculars, and that is only because Halle Berry is just perfect. The girl can act. I can’t wait for her NEXT performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment