Gordon & Barbara in Paris

Gordon & Barbara in Paris
Here's Looking at YOU

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The LIFE OF PI


LIFE OF PI-- Directed by Ang Lee/Starring Suraj Sharma, Irfan Khan/screenplay by David Magee from a novel by Yann Martell/rated PG/126 mins

Bifocal Review by Ageless1der Barbara Rich and The Other Guy

(B) The special effects, obviously, were very impressive. It was an amazing feat for those extraordinary scenes that appeared to be out on the open ocean, but I knew were shot in a tank. As far as the story goes, I’m a skeptic, so I must see it to believe it. Nevertheless, this made for an enjoyable two hours, no matter what ending or purpose you choose. I was not as impressed as The Other Guy. I was glad when the ending came, rather than not wanting it to end. I felt like the point was made…it was enough already. How much starvation, eating what you catch, wild animals in a lifeboat, great photography can one person take? Also, because I don’t see out of my right eye well, I probably did not get as much out of the 3D as others. Out of FIVE binoculars, I give it a three.

(OG)  Without question, this was the most enjoyable 3D experience I’ve ever had. Many times, I see the 3D aspect as an annoyance rather than an asset, but not here. Also, I am a sucker for a fable, a clear moral objective that makes the story in a film, a book, a poem, a metaphor for itself. This, for me, was a beautifully written, directed and performed fable which clearly stated its objective and then went about making its argument in a beautifully human manner, beyond country or culture. I don’t think that even the film’s producers realized that they would hit such a positive cord with the viewers based entirely on the value judgment that “what we chose to believe is just as important as what we can prove.” To illustrate, we present the original OFFICIAL trailer and the latest updated trailer below. As you can see, one stresses the visual aspects of the film and the new one presents what I feel is an equally strong point…the story that will, as the main character of the film puts it, ”make you believe in God.” I give this one a five out of five.






No comments:

Post a Comment