Gordon & Barbara in Paris

Gordon & Barbara in Paris
Here's Looking at YOU

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman


Snow White and the Huntsman--Directed by Rupert Sanders/Starring Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron/screenplay by Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock, Hossein Amini and Evan Daugherty/based on a Brothers Grimm Fairytale/Rated PG-13/2hr7min Bifocal Reviews by Barbara and Gordon Rich (B) This film was entertaining and I enjoyed it. I won’t say it was a great movie. What was great, were the special effects. The storyline was what you would expect, so no surprises there. I found the acting mediocre. Charlize’s beauty played well for her, but the harshness of her character did not work for me. I should mention that these types of films are not my favorites, but I’m glad I saw it. Only two binoculars from me and they are mostly for the special effects. (G) Let’s not belabor this. Barbara summed it up perfectly. The special effects were what they should be in EVERY movie…They were special. They were well done and not overwhelming, just enough to add to the movie rather than become the soul purpose for the film’s existence. The alleged “reinterpretation of the Grimm Tale” that we were promised in promotional materials, just never well…never materialized. The acting was sluggish and the writing was often pointless. The sage advice, “if the action shows it, then the characters don’t need to say it,” was never followed. Sometimes a character would say something it seemed, just because no one had said anything in a while, like: “There she goes!” for instance. Two other things kept bothering me throughout the whole two hours plus: 1) When Charlize looked in the magic mirror, wondering if she was the fairest in the land, I found it silly that Kristen Stewart was the source of the worry and 2) How did an Academy Award winning actress overact in this shallow fairytale? I didn’t find it that annoying, but I didn’t actually enjoy myself either. I will give this one two binoculars, for special effects and because I want to agree with my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment