Gordon & Barbara in Paris

Gordon & Barbara in Paris
Here's Looking at YOU

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES—Directed by Rupert Wyatt/ Starring James Franco, Andy Serkis, Freida Pinto/written by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver/ Pierre Boulle--suggested by novel "La planète des singes"/PG-13/ 110 mins

Bifocal Reviews written by Barbara and Gordon Rich

(B) It’s just a lot of monkey business to me. This film may have many great qualities, but I just don’t appreciate them. When I peel back the banana skin, there is only one binocular underneath for me to see, and that is for make-up. Other than that, I will speak no more evil.

(G) I rather enjoyed this one, though I am glad that it didn’t last any longer than it did. I was attracted to the film, by the unique perspective of the plot and some really fine acting by Andy Serkis. I don’t count myself a James Franco fan usually, but his laid back delivery suited the character he was portraying. Truly this was Serkis’ (the actor who plays the Chimpanzee named Caesar) film. His ability to relate subtle feelings through body language and with his eyes, is what makes this film worth the price of admission. Luckily, we say this one on the small screen (55 inches) for the price of a Video On Demand rental. Notwithstanding the other lens in this Bifocal Review (Barbara’s rather negative and anthropologically misguided statement above. Chimps are apes, not monkeys) I think this is worth a look. I’ll give it a solid 2 and ½ bifocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment